Mukimo wa njahi is a delicacy among the Kikuyu community particularly in Nyeri. Commonly referred to as “Mukimo wa Njahi”, this dish was traditionally prepared for lactating mothers and during occasions like dowry ceremonies.
In modern times it remains important as a family dish. Mukimo wa njahi is mainly served during lunch or dinner.
This recipe therefore, highlights the process on how to prepare this step by step.
Preparation, approximately 20 minutes | Cooking 4 hours | Serves 4
• Boil 2 ½ cups of njahi (dolichos lablab) in 21 cups of water for 3 hours.
• Peel and wash the potatoes and green bananas in separate bowls, chop them.
• Put the rest of the water into a separate cooking pot.
• Add the chopped potatoes, green bananas and salt.
• Boil for 10 minutes.
• Add the cooked black beans, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
• Remove from fire and mash.
Order your fresh groceries today and have them delivered to your doorstep free of charge. Call us on 0710266236 and wait for your order.